It all started with the search for a decent local stout.
American craft brewers seem to define their brewing hipness with this style. They throw in chocolate sprinkles, unicorn hair and kitchen sinks. We just want a stout like we had in Dublin.
- 8-9 pounds of British pale malt
- 1 pound British roasted malt
- 1 pound flaked barley (improves mouthfeel, texture, body)
- some chocolate malt, crystal malt, or black patent malt is optional, but keep it less than 10% of the total grain bill
- 2-3 ounces of East Kent Goldings or Fuggles
- Wyeast Irish Ale 1084
- Single infusion 150-155 F for 2 hours